University of Cape Town MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program 2020/2021, Fully funded to South Africa.
The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support
to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
The vision of the Program is to transition promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing
them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills,
and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa.
The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate,
with leadership potential from Sub-Saharan Africa.
Eligibility for University of Cape Town MasterCard Foundation Scholarship:
To be eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidates must meet the stated criteria:
- talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only).
- Applying to study in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours,
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- The Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Applicants must meet the set academic criteria
Available Opportunities: 50 opportunities (24 undergraduate, 10 honours and 16 master’s)
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i)
- citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
How to Apply for University of Cape Town MasterCard Foundation Scholarship:
In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program,
applicants must first apply to the mUniversity of Cape Town for academic study and placement.
Deadline: 30th September, 2020