Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars & Artists for the 2023,
Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange, and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries.
Recipients are selected by the awarding body,
the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD
and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
Swiss Government Scholarships for Foreign Artists
- The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
- Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
- Agriculture, Biodiversity and Sustainability, Digital Communication / ICTs, Governance and Accountability, Knowledge Production and Transfer, Life Sciences and Health, Mobility and Migration, Open Topic, Peace and Security, Poverty Reduction
Eligibility for Swiss Government Scholarships for Foreign Artists
- Open to young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD
- Also open to foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree
- Applicant’s Country: EU, other, Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Djibouti, DR Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Applicant’s Position: PhD Candidate, PostDoc, Researcher
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
The FCS will select scholarship holders for the 2023-24 academic year.
Select your country of origin according to your passport:
Check the application deadline and the different types of scholarship on offer. These vary according to country. You will also find details of what to do next and where to get more information.